Concealed Carry NOLA
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does the course fee include notary and fingerprints?

Answer: The course fee is for the course alone. We do have a notary that can notarize all three pages for $25.00. We do not offer ink fingerprint services due to the fact that ink fingerprints have a 50/50 chance of surviving the mailing process. We recommend that you get your fingerprints taken digitally if you plan to mail your packet in to the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Unit. We will give you several suggestions on where you can get your fingerprints taken digitally if you plan to mail your application. Cost for digital fingerprints locally vary from $25 to $50. Be sure to read the next question and answer regarding turn around time of applications. Fingerprints can play a part in how long it will take to get your permit.

Q: How long will it take for me to get my permit once I have taken the course?

Answer: At this time due to the high demand for concealed handgun permits the wait is about 6-8 months if you mail in your application. We however recommend that you get all of the appropriate documentation together, the appropriate fee in the form of a money order or certified check, your completed application with the last three pages notarized, a copy of your dirvers license and the certificate of training, and then take a drive to Baton Rouge to the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Unit office and have them take your fingerprints. The fee for fingerprints at the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Unit is only $10 and they now accept credit cards. They will then process your application after checking it for errors and turn it around in around 6 weeks or less.  I recently had a student go to Baton Rouge to get his prints done and he received his permit in 15 days. As stated above if you mail in your application and get ink fingerprints taken you may wait 6-8 months only to find out that your application is rejected due to smeered fingerpints.

Q: Do I need to take a course before I apply for a concealed hangun permit?

Answer: Prior to applying for a concealed handgun permit you must first complete the appropriate traiing course and receive a certificate of training. You will then make a copy of your certificate and submit it along with your completed application.

Q: How much does it cost for a concealed handgun permit?

Answer: The five year permit fee is $125.00 unless you are over 65 in which case the fee will be $62.50. However, any applicant hat has not continuously resided within the state of Louisiana for the 15 years immediately preceding the date on which their application is received must enclose an additional non-refundable $50 fee.

Q: My permit is going to expire. What do I need to do to keep my permit valid?

Answer: Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of the permit. You must then complete the renewal application along with a new passport photo, traiing certificate, and the appropriate fees. The fees for renewal applications are the same as an original, minus the additional $50.00 fee from those persons that have not resided in the state for the past fifteen years, providing this fee was previously submitted with the original application. You must submit your application within 60 days of the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application. You do not need to submit new fingerprints with a renewal.

NOTE: Renewal training is required by everyone!

Q: Do I have to return my permit when I receive my renewed permit?

Answer: Yes, you must return an expired permit. LAC 55:I:1309.I, states “Any permit issued by the deputy secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall be deemed to be the property of the department and shall be surrendered and returned to the department upon suspension, revocation, or expiration, or when the permittee ceases to reside in the state.”

Q: How long do I have to live in Louisiana before I am eligible for a permit?

Answer: You may apply for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit once you have established residency.

Q: Are non-residents allowed to have a Louisiana concealed handgun permit?

Answer: No, Louisiana only issues concealed handgun permits to residents of the state.

Q: What do I do if my permit is lost or stolen?

Answer: If your permit is lost or stolen, you need to notify the Concealed Handgun Permit Unit in a notarized written statement completely describing the loss or theft. Please include a copy of any police reports made pertaining to this matter. A new permit will be mailed to your address of record.

Q: If I move, how do I change the address on my permit?

Answer: Go to the “Forms” section of the Louisiana State Police web page and click on the “Change of Address” form. This form can be filled out and submitted online, or you may print the form and submit it via mail or fax. This should be done within 30 days of the effective date of the address change.

Failure to comply with this provision may result in a fine of up to $100 assessed by the department. L.R.S 40:1379.3 (C) (1) authorizes a 30 day suspension of your permit for failure to notify the department within 30 days of an address change.

Q: Can I carry my handgun in my vehicle?

Answer: Under most circumstances, carrying a handgun in a motor vehicle is legal in Louisiana.

Q: Do I have to register my handgun with the state?

Answer: No, Louisiana state law does not require registration of handguns unless the serial number is obliterated.

Q: I am active duty military and stationed in this state. What do I have to do to obtain a permit?

Answer: You must complete an application and submit all the documents on the application checklist. You may use your military small arms qualification in lieu of training. However, you MUST obtain either a Louisiana driver's license or Louisiana identification card and submit a copy along with a copy of your military identification and your orders assigning you to this state. There are no waivers for this requirement.

Q: I was arrested but the charges were dropped, do I still need to supply documents showing the disposition of that arrest?

Answer: Yes, all arrest or summons must be listed on your application. Furthermore, you must provide a certified true copy of the court minutes, which reflects the final disposition of the charge and submit it with your application.

Q: Where do I get a copy fo my arrest disposition?

Answer: The records may be obtained from the Clerk of Court or District Attorney of the parish in which the arrest or prosecution occurred. If you were charged with a violation of a municipal ordinance, the disposition may be obtained from the City Clerk of Court or City Prosecutor.

Q: I called the clerk of court to get the disposition but the court said I have no record, what do I do?

Answer: Some old convictions (20+ years) may not be on file. However, you must at least obtain a letter from the clerk of court stating no record, dismissed, or nolle prosse and submit the certified true copies of all arrest or summons with your application.

Q. Can I get a lifetime membership and if I do, will I still have to take on going training courses?

Anser: Yes you can get a lifetime permit. When you submit your application just send $500, the additional $50 if you have not lived in Louisiana continueously for the past 15 years, and follow the proceedures for submitting your application. ALL livetime permit holders will have to get a certificate of training every 5 years and submit that certificate to the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit.


1015 Central Ave., Suite 203, Metairie, Louisiana, 70001, United States
Switch to desktop site